Philadelphia Chapter 972, United Daughters of the Confederacy ®
|Generals of the Confederacy wall hanging; please click the image to see an enlargement and additional information|
The United Daughters of the Confederacy® is a women's heritage association, formed through the consolidation of many local groups and associations organized to support Confederate veterans after the War Between the Sates. It is the oldest patriotic organization in the country, through its connection with two state organizations — the Daughters of the Confederacy (DOC) in Missouri and the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Confederate Soldiers Home in Tennessee — that were organized as early as 1890.
The UDC began in 1894 as the National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy, organized by two women: Mrs. Caroline Meriwether Goodlett of Nashville, TN, and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines, of Georgia. The organization became the United Daughters of the Confederacy the following year, in 1895. The objectives of the organization are: Historical, Educational, Benevolent, Memorial and Patriotic.
History of Philadelphia Chapter 972
The Philadelphia Chapter 972, of the United Daughters of the Confederacy®, received its charter during the summer of 1906. Prior to that time, a group of southern women, primarily Virginians, had formed a chapter in Philadelphia. This was called the Dabney Maury Chapter, and was part of the Virginia Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy®.
By the end of 1907, the new Philadelphia Chapter had grown to over 100 members, representing the southern heritage of many former Confederate states. From the beginning, this was a very active chapter. Southern families of veterans were provided with financial assistance, food baskets at holidays, and other necessities. Scholarships were given annually, memorial funds contributed, wreaths purchased and memorial programs presented at local cemeteries in which Confederate veterans are buried.
Members of the Philadelphia Chapter have worked hard over the years to meet the objectives of the United Daughters of the Confederacy®. A number of our chapter members have gone on to serve as officers of the General Organization, as well. Two women have served as President General: Mrs. Robert H. Smith (1962-1964) and Mrs. Henry D. Ferris (1976-1978).
Our chapter has remained very active, and celebrated its 100-year anniversary in 2006. Today, our members are located throughout the greater Philadelphia area, as well as in various other states and the United Kingdom. Each one of us is a loyal member of this chapter, and of the United Daughters of the Confederacy®.
As part of our chapter’s first address to the 1907 National UDC Convention in Gulfport, MS, our first Philadelphia Chapter president, Mrs. Charles L. Barrett, reported that a chapter located north of the Mason-Dixon line had one advantage over chapters within the former Confederate States of America. She stated, “ …while the chapters of the State divisions have the traditions of that state to inspire them, we, with a representation from every Southern State, have the traditions of the entire South behind us, a fact that makes us in a very, very small but still in a way, a United Daughters of the Confederacy®.”
The name “United Daughters of the Confederacy” is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not be used
outside the Organization without the express written consent of the United Daughters of the Confederacy®.
The presence of links to outside web sites does not imply endorsement, approval,
or concurrence by the United Daughters of the Confederacy® on any level.
©2012 Philadelphia Chapter #972, United Daughters of the Confederacy®.