Philadelphia Chapter #972, UDC Home Page Link
Phila. Burials  |   Phila. National Cemetery   |   Chester   |   Finns Point   |   Manada Gap   |   Mt. Moriah   |   West Laurel Hill    |  Woodlands

 

Philadelphia Chapter 972
Confederate Burial in Chester Rural Cemetery, Chester, PA


The Chester Rural Cemetery Association of Delaware County, PA was founded in March, 1863. Among the first interments were Civil War casualties, from both sides of the conflict, from the US Government Hospital located across the street on what would later become the campus of Crozer Theological Seminary and Crozer Chester Medical Center. Many of these casualties were removed on October 28,1891 to Philadelphia National Cemetery in Philadelphia, PA. Some of the confederate soldiers were later taken home by their families for burial. The records of all, however, have been preserved in the archives of the cemetery.

Information on Confederate burials was provided by Sam Ricks, SCV PA Division Graves Registrar.

 

Confederate Veteran Interred in Chester Rural Cemetery:

Jonathan Edwards Woodbridge
Birth: Jan. 16, 1844
Death: May 21, 1935

Jonathan Woodbridge was a former Cadet Sgt. Major, Company C, of the Virginia Military Institute, Class of 1865. He is one of two “New Market Cadets” buried in the Philadelphia area. The VMI Corps of Cadets fought as a unit as the Battle of New Market, VA, on May 15, 1864. Following the war, he was a mechanical engineer and naval architect, becoming a prominent citizen of Chester, PA. Woodbridge was a lineal descendant of the first American theologian, Jonathan Edwards. He married Louise Deshong, an artist and photographer, on May 23, 1976.

Originally interred in the Chester Rural Cemetery; reinterred in Philadelphia National Cemetery:
Malcolm M. Campbell
Birth: Unknown
Death: Aug. 2, 1863

Malcolm Campbell served in Companies D and F of the 47th Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He was captured and died while a prisoner of war. His original burial was in the Chester Rural Cemetery, but his remains were reinterred in the Philadelphia National Cemetery in 1891.

return to top

Our Chapter   |   Calendar   |   Membership   |   Scholarships   |   Ancestors   |   Children of the Confederacy   |   Clubs   |   Grave Markings   |   Links

divider bar

The name “United Daughters of the Confederacy” is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not be used
outside the Organization without the express written consent of the United Daughters of the Confederacy®.

The presence of links to outside web sites does not imply endorsement, approval,
or concurrence by the United Daughters of the Confederacy® on any level.

©2012 Philadelphia Chapter #972, United Daughters of the Confederacy®.